Thursday, May 11, 2006

I know how lucky I am.

Husband and I ran the numbers a couple of months ago and realized that I had to go back to work part time. I mean, I'd go back to work if I wanted to, but I'd like my work to be my writing...it's just not paying work right now. We also realized that we can't afford daycare, so I would have to work weekends, when Husband could be home to watch Sam. Kind of sucks, as I would almost never see my Beloved, but you do what you have to. I sent out résumés, had a couple of interviews.

Turns out we don't have to now. Husband's job ran its numbers and figured out he could finally get his long overdue raise, which is easily twice what I could make. It also figured out that I could do some freelancing for them now and then.

I get to stay home with my son, work on my children's books, and still see Husband nights and weekends.

So many mothers don't have this option. Mothers who want to work, typically aren't as barred as mothers who don't want to work. Working mothers can get nannies, baby sitters, daycare. Mothers who don't want to work can't get money.

So I give thanks for Husband's company, the freedom to be both mother and writer, and the extra money that will come in occasionally.

My life is really great right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home