Saturday, December 24, 2005

In an hour, it will be Christmas Day.

I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And I wonder what I’ve done.
Holy father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.
I am frightened by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now.
Be with me now.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.

Do you wonder as you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
Help me be.
Help me.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven.



I’m having trouble sleeping,which is nothing new these days. I’ve gotten so big it’s tough to be comfortable in any position.

It never fails to astound me. Each Christmas she is in the forefront of my mind. I know it is the birthday of Jesus. God coming to Earth as one of its most helpless creatures is miraculous and awe inspiring. Yet firstly I think, on this holiday, of Mary.

I have been hearing her story every Christmas for my entire life.

Mary was about a decade younger than I am, and she was traveling on a donkey. I’m going to have a private room in a great hospital. She didn’t have the option of an epidural (I want to try it without). She didn’t even have the option of a bed. She had no books available to give her any hint as to what it would be like...not that it would have helped. It’s highly unlikely that she knew how to read.

She was poor and tired and scared and probably more uncomfortable than I can imagine. She gave birth in a barn. A smelly, drafty barn!

She is The Holy Mother to so many, many people. Yet she was just a poor kid who had to deal with nausea, stretch marks, cramps, back pain and a host of other things for nine months.

How some people can treat teenage girls with disrespect astounds me. God chose one of them to have His Son because He knew she could handle it.

Elevating an unwed teenage mother to a Holy status.

I'm getting sleepy now, so I think I'll just toss this up for people to read. I'm sure it is not my most eloquent.

Actually, before I go, I'm going to stick in the lyrics to one of my favorite Christmas Songs. It's about her.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home