Tuesday, November 15, 2005

God. Dammit.

I went to college with Mella. She is my very good friend and I love her. She is an extraordinarily gifted writer.

She had a miscarriage a few months ago.

She recently came out as being pregnant again.

They went for the ultrasound. Here's what happened.

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

I have no idea what to say to her.

I hate that she and her husband are going through this.

I hate that God is allowing this.

I feel guilty for having a healthy little baby inside me when she has lost two.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember if you've ever said anything about religious beliefs, and I certainly don't want to start an uproar here. I just thought I'd offer some words of comfort...

I think the most important thing you can say to your friend in this situation is, despite what ANYBODY tells you, God did not take this baby. As the Bible says, God does not take delight in the death of anyone, even unborn children.

Under the Mosaic Law, the death of an unborn child carried the same sentence as the murder of the living.

God did not murder, or take, your friend's child.

Instead, the Bible offers a hope for the resurrection of the dead. John 5:25-30. Acts 24:15 is of particular interest, because it speaks of a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous--the unrighteous including those who never had a chance to learn about God. It is my personal belief that that resurrection will include unborn children.

Your friend could still hold both of her babies in her arms one day.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I hope these words offer some consolation.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Novice said...

Thanks, Cyke. I know this is true. So do they. It's just very easy to blame God when bad things happen to good people. Luckily, God is very understanding and forgiving.\

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home