Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Gratitude

When I was 10 or 11, I found a pile of my dad’s old Batman comic books in my grandmother’s house.

The Penguin had giant flying creatures that terrorized Gotham. Catwoman gave the city’s beauties a sleeping sickness so she could win a beauty pageant. Rather tame compared to the plots of today. They are not the point, though.

Batgirl and Poison Ivy are the point.

When I was a kid, there was Pippi Longstocking. Most people associate red headed girls with Pippi...one of the homliest girls in children’s literature. Nicholas Schnare would call me that while teasing me and making fun of my freckles.

Disney animators hadn’t drawn Ariel. Paul Zelinsky wouldn’t come out with his Rapunzel for several years. Daphne Blake was on TV, but I didn’t watch much Scooby Doo as a kid, and let’s face it, she’s the least useful member of Mystery Inc. There were no pretty redheaded women, that I say (in case you're wondering, my mother is a blonde - Psychiatrist Barbie).

But Batgirl and Poison Ivy were redheads who were clever, tough and beautiful! I know Poison Ivy does not seem the ideal role model for a young girl, but the fact that the most desirable woman in Gotham City could be a redhead astounded me!

They did wonderful things for my self esteem.


Whenever anyone made me feel like I was somehow less than they were, I thought of a certain ass kicking librarian and held my head up walking like I had a cape and boots.


In college, whenever sexual insecurity would rear its ugly head, I would think of Poison Ivy. I would transfer her confidence to myself. Even though she's fictional, even though it is completely ridiculous, Poison Ivy made me feel...beautiful.

So I owe those gals a lot. I am grateful, ladies.

You know what? I think I’m done with this for right now. I threw up on the page and now I’ll just put this out.

Maybe I’ll look at it later and tweak it some more.

Thanks for the help, Kevin.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Nicholas Schnare. I found this article while searching my name in google. I am from West Brookfield, MA. Do I know you? If so please email me at armyssgvet@hotmail.com and tell me who you are.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Novice said...

Oh Holy Crap!

No bitterness, Dude. Trust me.

Please keep my identity a secret.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home